Deathwing, Madness of.
My guild has downed Madness of Deathwing (final boss) in 10 man normal mode this week. We spent a total of about 4 hours wiping on this particular. In comparison we spent close to 6 weeks wiping on Blackhorn, and about 5 hours on Spine. Our group makeup made this fight very interesting.
Blood DK (wifey!)
Protection Paladin (Me)
Yes, you read that right. We 2 tanked and 3 healed Madness of Deathwing. Using a 2 tank/3 heal strategy and the dps makeup the best order to down the platforms in is… drum roll please!
yes. Ysera, Nozdormu, Alexstrasza, and then Kelecgos
This puts the onus on the dps for platform 4 to down the blistering tentacles in order to reach phase 2. With our healing core most of the time the Elementium bolts on Alexstrasza and Kalecgos were manageable… in addition to both healer and tank raid cooldowns.
Now, to view this from the Protection Paladin Tank perspective you want, rather Need, your 4 piece set bonus. The set bonus of Divine Guardian out to 70 yards AND cooldown of 2 minutes makes it very useful. This mitigates a huge amount of the tick damage from both elementium bolts that land, as well as the 5% corrupted blood in phase 2. This alone can spell the difference between the healers losing someone and downing the elementium bolt.
In our raid I took the first impale and the DK took the second impale on each platform. A paladin can easily use Hand of Sacrifice on any other tank to help spread the damage out… for number crunchers out there you will take between 25K and 60K with the average being around 40K damage from Impale. It also means the other tank has much more survivability, which becomes very important as you down the platforms faster and the tank cooldown timers become problematic. In phase 2 the DK tank had the first Terror we killed and I had the second. We probably should have switched that around as she would do better as a Dodge tank than I do as a crunchy tank.
1. Ysera “green button”. Use this cooldown for Impale on the first platform. You can use it several times on that platform, but be sure to use it for the impale.
2. Ardent Defender + Divine Protection. On platform 2 use this combination of cooldowns to survive the impale. You have to give it an extra few seconds before Impale goes off so that both will pop. I would recommend removing the Divine Protection glyph as Impale is physical damage.
3. Divine Protection + Guardian of Ancient Kings. On platform 3 use this cool down to survive Impale. This is almost a must since you will have the elementium bolt landing and the healers need to conserve mana. Ardent Defender might be up, if it is… use it when the Bolt lands. I would recommend removing the Divine Protection glyph as Impale is physical damage.
4. Divine Shield. Use this on Platform 4. You take no damage and have no threat, since the other tank has taunted the corruption it doesn’t matter if you have no threat. Makes the healer job very easy for this one.
5. Phase 2. Use 1 cooldown for the terror, wait til you have a couple of stacks or the terror is at 50%. If possible you can use 2, but it depends on if you need the ysera button for shrapnel or not.